Frequently Asked Questions

I need to amend a name on the policy schedule what should I do?

If you need to amend the name of one of the travellers before you depart on your trip, you can. Please note that we would need confirmation of the name change (for example, a marriage or deed poll certificate). We can only change the name of a traveller, if their new name is reflective of their passport and we are not able to replace travellers with another person. Please contact us by phone on +44 (0)1903 255 650 or Click here to view our contact us page.