Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to arrange to have a Global Health Insurance Card before I travel?

If you are travelling to countries within the European Union (EU), not including the EEA or Switzerland, you are strongly advised to obtain a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). You can apply for a GHIC online at or by phone on 0300 330 1350. This will allow you to benefit from the health care arrangements that exist between countries within the EU.

If we agree to pay for a medical expense which has been reduced because you have used either a GHIC or private health insurance, we will not deduct the excess under ‘Section B - Emergency Medical and other Expenses’.

Related Questions