Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to arrange to have a European Health Insurance Card before I travel?

If you are travelling to countries within the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you are strongly advised to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can apply either online through or by telephoning 0300 330 1350. This will entitle you to benefit from the health care arrangements that exist between countries within the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

By doing this you could also save money. If we agree to pay for a medical expense that has been reduced because you have used either a EHIC or your private health insurance, we will not deduct the excess under section B- Emergency medical and other expenses.

Related Questions